Activities of the Plant Protection and Apiculture
The role of the Plant Protection and Apiculture Section aims to the substantial contribution and support of the farmers on various plant protection and apiculture issues and the promotion of rational methods, tactics and practices, which contribute to the sustainable and competitive agriculture with respect to the environment and human health.
1. Adoption and application of accredited plant disease and pest diagnostic techniques. Efforts are also taken to upgrade and modernize laboratory equipment and to improve laboratory buildings.
2. Provision of advices to farmers and rural associated people and organizations on various plant protection and apiculture issues.
3. Investigation, development and promotion of effective plant protection and apiculture strategies, methods, tactics and practices, which contribute to the sustainable agriculture and apiculture in such a way to minimize damages to the environment and human health.
4. Carrying out surveys throughout the island for determining the extension and intensity of major plant diseases and pests.
5. Pesticide sprays announcements based on monitoring pest population and environmental conditions for increasing the effectiveness of pest management methods and reducing unnecessary spray applications.
6. Conducting and/or supervising pest and disease control programs including pesticides applications in heavily infested non-populated or inaccessible areas for the reduction in the population of the targeted organism.
7. Reorganization and development of the beekeeping sector by providing competitive and qualitative products.
8. Informing, advising and training farmers and rural associated people on various plant protection and apiculture issues by organizing seminars and workshops, conducting programs in TV and Radio, publishing articles in newspapers and magazines and producing technical leaflets which are free to the public.