Activities of the Agrochemicals and Feedingstuffs Section
The Agrochemicals Control Section is one of the Sections of the Divisions of Legislations of the Department of Agriculture. It has the responsibility to implement the legislation concerning plant protection products, biocides, feedingstuffs and fertilizers. In the context of implementation of this legislation, the Section deals with the procedures for authorising plant protection products and biocides and the procedures for authorising the plant protection products’ retailer shops, salespersons, warehouses and factories, and the workshops using biocides for professional use. In addition it is responsible for the authorization of fertilizers and all the relevant issues regarding the above mentioned topics. In addition the Section approves the importation of feeding stuffs as also proposes to the Feedingstuffs Council the registration and approval of feed Business Operators. The Section ensures the implementation of legislation. The control of the legislation is provided by the Legislation control section of the Department of Agriculture by carrying out the relevant controls, both at market level and use level.
The Agrochemicals and Feedingstuffs Section implements the following legislations:
1. The Plant Protections Products Law of 2011 (relevant EU legislation; Regulation (EC) No 1107/2009)
2. The Pesticides (Selling, Producing and Storing) Regulations of 2003.
3. The Rational Use of Pesticides Regulations of 2012 (relevant EU legislation; Directive 2009/128/EC)
4. The Biocides Law of 2014 (relevant EU legislation; Regulation (EC) No 528/2012)
5. The Biocides (Professional Use of Biocides) Regulations of 2011.
Officers of the Agrochemicals Control Section, participate in the relevant Committees and Working Parties in Brussels, representing the competent authority and actively contributing to the decision making procedures in the area for which the Section is responsible.
6. The National Action Plan on the Sustainable Use of Plant Protection Products
7. The Fertilizers Law of 2006 (relevant EU legislation; Regulation (EC) No 2003/2003)
1. The Feed and Feed Additives (Control of Quality, Supply and Use) Laws from 1993 to 2007. The National Legislation is fully harmonized with the relevant European Community Feed Legislation:
a. Community Regulation (EC) No 178/2002 laying down the general principles and requirements of food law, establishing the European Food Safety Authority and laying down procedures in matters of food safety
2. The Feed and Feed Additives (Control of Quality, Supply and Use) Regulations from 2001 to 2006
b. Community Regulation (EC) No 183/2005 laying down requirements for feed hygiene
c. Community Regulation (EC) No 767/2009 on the placing on the market and use of feed
d. Community Regulation (EC) No 1829/2003 on genetically modified food and feed