NOTE OF THE AGRICULTURAL DISTRICT OFFICE OF LARNACA FOR THE
WEBSITE OF THE DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE
The Agricultural District Office of Larnaca serves all municipalities and communities that fall within the jurisdiction of the Larnaca District except for the communities of Odou and Melini which are served by the District Agricultural Office of Pitsilia. The main objectives of our Office, in line with the general objectives of the Department of Agriculture, include among others the development and upgrading of the agricultural sector by providing valid and timely information as well as proper guidance and training to farmers, beekeepers and the wider public. The implementation of the Office's objectives is mainly accomplished through Agricultural Extension services, the implementation of measures of Rural Development Program 2014-2020, the National Rural Support Schemes and Programs and the enforcement of National and European Union legislation. Adopting the above-mentioned training and support methods contributes to the enhancement of the quality and competitiveness of agricultural products, to food safety, proper management of farms and the environment and the multidimensional education of our farmers.
Organization and Competences of the Agricultural District Office of Larnaca
Ø Larnaca is divided into three Beats, as follows:
Agricultural Beat of Choirokitia and Orinis Larnacas Area
Communities served: : Ag. Theodoros, Ag. Vavatsinias, Vavatsinia, Vavla, Zygi, Kalavasos – Drapia, K. Drys, K. Lefkara, Lagia – Parsata, Mari, Maroni, Ora, P. Lefkara, Skarinou, Tochni, Choirokoitia, Psematismenos.
Agricultural Beat of Kiti-Anafotia
Communities served of: Anglisides, Alaminos, Alethriko, Anafotia – Aplanta, Dromolaxia, Kivisili, Kiti – Softades, Meneou, Pervolia, Tersefanou, Kofinou, Mazotos, Mennogia.
Agricultural Beat of Eastern Larnaca & Kalo Chorio-Korno
Communities served: Avdellero, Ag. Anna, Athiainou – Petrofani, Aradippou – Koshi, Delikipos, Kalo Chorio, Kellia, Klavdia, Kornos, Larnaca, Leivadia, Mosfiloti, Xylotympou, Xylofagou, Ormideia, Oroklini, Pyla, Pyrga, Troulloi, Psedvas.
Ø In addition, for issues relating to Animal Husbandry, the Larnaca Agricultural District Office is divided into two Beats:
Animal Husbandry Beat of Eastern Larnaca
Communities served: Avdellero, Ag. Anna, Athiainou, Aradippou, Kalo Chorio, Kellia, Kornos, Larnaca, Leivadia, Mosfiloti, Xylotympou, Xylofagou, Ormideia, Oroklini, Pergamos, Pyla, Pyrga, Troulloi, Psevdas.
Animal Husbandry Beat of Western Larnaca
Communities served: Ag. Theodoros, Anglisides, Alaminos, Alethriko, Anafotia, Vavatsinia, Dromolaxia, Kalavasos, K. Drys, K. Lefkara, Kivisili, Kiti, Klavdia, Kofinou, Mazotos, Mari, Maroni, Meneou, Mennogia, P. Lefkara, Pervolia, Skarinou, Tersefanou, Tochni, Choirokoitia.
In order to reach the farmers and general public in our District, a separate agricultural extension program is implemented in each Beat, which includes systematic individual contacts, group contacts (lectures, regional information gatherings, method demonstrations, etc.) and mass communication (information-awareness with letters, announcements / SMS messages, radio programs, texts in magazines and newspapers, etc.)
Land and Water Use Section
- Advice for issues associated with Irrigation Systems, Crop Nutrition, Soil Science and Hydroponics
Plant Protection Section and Apiculture
- Chemical analysis of soil (in preparation of fertilization program) and water
- Scheme for the provision of architectural plans for agricultural purposes
- Environmental and agroenvironmental issues (Cross compliance, Code of Good Agricultural Practices)
- Opinions for Governmental Plots, Building Licenses, Urban Planning Licenses, investigation licenses etc.
- Agromechanics, Calibration of pesticide application equipment, etc.
- Adoption of Action Program for the nitrate-vulnerable zones (NVZs).
- Advice for issues associated with Plant Protection and Apiculture
- Rat Control Project
- Establishment and control of insects traps
- Survey of Apiculture and the National Apicultural Program
- Surveys of harmful organisms
- Associations for plant protection in olive trees
- Sampling and diagnostic work
Risk Management Division
- Risk management guidance of agricultural production (Crop insurance)
Rural Development Program 2014 – 2020
- Receipt of crop and damage application forms
- Damage recording
- Damage assessment
- Issue of findings
- Handling of Objections
Rural people of Larnaca are kept informed about the provisions of various measures of the Rural Development Program.
Other Competences of our Office:
- Farmers Register, Agricultural Petroleum Plans
In order to improve its services to the farmers the Agricultural District Office of Larnaca collaborates with other Departments/Services, with Farming Unions, Local Authorities, Producer Organizations and other organized groups of our District.
- Administration of Husbandry Areas
- Surveys of crop and animal production
- Estimates of losses for purposes needed by other governmental services
- Inspection and certification of the production of certified cereal seeds
- Issuing of certificates and keeping of various relevant Registers (Organic Farmers, Crops for Employment of foreign labor workers, for Open Markets (“Laikes agores”) for Agricultural products and Use by various governmental services
- Receiving applications for a training certificate for Professional users of plant protection products, training and examination of applicants
- Receiving applications for the production of local certified potato seed and applications for issues related to various Sections of the Department of Agriculture
- Undertaking relevant accounting and cash desk works
- Control for Agriculture Plan of EAC
- Carrying out work assigned by other Governmental Services and Semi-governmental Organizations
The Agricultural District Office of Larnaca is located at Charilaou Trikoupi 2, (near Kalo Chorio roundabout Larnaca), ( the same building as the Larnaca Water Development Department).
Address: Charilaou Trikoupi 2