The Marine Environment Division (MED) of the Department of Fisheries and Marine Research (DFMR) has as primary priority the maintenance of the Good Environmental Status (GES) of the marine environment of Cyprus for future generations. In order to achieve this goal, it is necessary to maintain and protect the marine biodiversity and ecosystems which in turn requires good quality of the surrounding environment (water, sediment, etc.).
A major tool for this purpose is the acquisition and enlargement of the scientific knowledge on the biodiversity of Cyprus, the ecological processes that characterize the marine ecosystem and the factors/activities that affect it.
Fields of Interest:
For achieving its numerous goals, MED is taking action in several areas:
· Monitoring and assessment of the environmental (ecological and chemical) status of coastal and marine waters
· Research studies on marine ecology and biodiversity
· Assessment of anthropogenic impacts on the marine ecosystem
· Protection of endangered aquatic species and habitats
· Establishment of marine protected areas (Natura 2000 network areas, Artificial Reefs)