Saittas Experimental Station is situated South of Troodos Mountain near Moniatis and Trimiklini villages at an altitude of 650m. The climatic conditions of the area are ideal for experimentation in Viticulture and Fruit Trees.
After a catastrophic fire in the area in 2007 the Station was completely destroyed and since then rebuilt and reorganized. The Experimental Stations close proximity to the main vine regions of Pitsilia, Koumandaria and Krasoxoria Lemesou makes experimentation in cooperation with the vine growers in these regions much easier.
At the moment an area of 1hectare of vines and 0.4 hectares of cherries are grown at the station for experimentation.
Experimental work at Saittas Experimental Station
- Evaluation of Cherry varieties.
- Management, collection and conservation of vine genetic material in situ of autochthonous and international wine and tablegrape varieties.
- Collection and conservation of wild vines.
- Ampelographic description of autochthonous wine and tablegrape varieties
- Evaluation of phytosanitary selected clones of autochthonous wine and tablegrape varieties.
- Evaluation of Tablegrape varieties.
- Evaluation of the tablegrape variety Crimson Seedless grafted on rootstocks.
- Evaluation of the tablegrape variety Autumn Royal grafted on rootstocks.
- Evaluation of training-trellis systems of table and wine grapes.